TES collection Special needs - Visual support
Special needs - Visual support
Here is a fabulous collection of resources for teachers of SEN pupils. We’ve included lots of basic sheets, some for display, some for use directly with pupils. All of these resources have been developed by Bev Evans, one of TES Connect’s top contributors and an expert in the education of SEN pupils.
The resources give clear visual support to pupils, often incorporating PCS, Widgit or sign language symbols - The sort of thing that all SEN teachers will find useful and usually have to pay for or spend lots of valuable time trying to make themselves. Thank you, Bev!
A variety of classroom signs, in PDF documents, with a choice of format for the symbols:
- Template for a simple communication book, with 24 PCS symbols.
- A set of reminder cards and desktop strips to encourage and reinforce good behaviour. Supported by symbols in PCS format.
- Signs with a visual reminder for sink areas. Two versions - pink for girls and blue for boys!
- Clear photo cards of events in a child’s day, for discussion, sequencing or play.
- Common icons for using Microsoft Word with simple explanations. Great to support inclusion in ICT.
- Two sets of sheets with objects and suggested outlines to cut around.
- Sheets for practising following the lines, with increasing difficulty.
- Printable finger spelling alphabet for display or for use as large format flash cards. Different coloured borders for vowels/consonants. The images are in colour, with multi-cultural skin tones and a clear font.
- A speech and language game to improve or assess pupils’ listening skills.
- Worksheets for learning initial sound, end sound, vowel sound and blends. All sheets have PCS symbols and some have finger-spelling sign language.
- An interactive presentation to show how everyone is different, to support inclusion.
- A clearly presented keyboard layout, with explanations of functions when different areas are clicked.
- Screens to add the day of the week and the weather, with sign language images.
- Sign language images of popular foods.
- For display - includes suggestions for characters, settings, beginnings, endings etc.
- A set of photos showing everyday actions with captions - for display or classroom use.
- Colour Lotto includes four base boards with six assorted colours on each, four sets of object cards (PCS symbols) in corresponding colours and four sets of sign language cards in corresponding colours.
- A simple counting activity (up to 5) with a vehicle theme. Includes voice-over, sound effects and action buttons.
- An introductory presentation to find out what’s underneath your skin, focussing on main organs.
- Photo cards of items from different food groups, for discussion, sorting or display.
- Photos of actual materials and common terms to describe them.
- Cards for display or classroom use with terms and symbols.
- Visual step-by-step support with animations on how to build a simple circuit.
- Animated Powerpoint, workbook and photo cards to learn about common forces.
- A clear presentation on magnets, with PCS symbols to support pupils. A short quiz at the end enables pupils to recap on the main points.
- Each page of this presentation has an animal and a choice of sign language images to match to it.
- Photo cards with questions and supporting visual prompts.