TES collection Fractions for KS1
Primary Maths - Fractions for KS1
The resources below are all designed for KS1 pupils, to learn the concept of splitting a whole into parts, or sharing items/pieces as proportions. At this age, this will mostly involve halves and quarters. Many of the activities could also be used for SEN pupils.
- Share lollipops between 2 or 4 children. Explore halves and quarters as sharing between groups.
- A tool using UFOs and planets to create a variety of fractions, to explore sharing between groups and reducing fractions.
- Pupils share pizza pieces to solve fraction problems.
- Ask pupils to shade the squares within the shapes according to the fractions requested.
- Pupils sort shapes depending on whether they are shaded less than half, exactly a half or more than half.
- Ask pupils to shade the kites to meet the criteria shown. A great opportunity to show that ‘half’ can be displayed in more than one way.
- A pattern-making activity using grids of 4, 12 or 16 squares to create a flag design. Pupils can paint a proportion of the grid in a certain colour, then compare their flags side-by-side on the report screen.
- A pattern-making activity originally designed to explore symmetry but equally useful as an activity to shade fractions of the deck chair grid in different ways.
…and fantastic resources uploaded by TES users:
- Pupils find ‘treasure’ (different coloured Duplo bricks in a sandpit), record their findings, then share it into halves and quarters.
- A lesson plan and video showing halves in different contexts, to get pupils to think about what a half actually means.
- An introduction and worksheet to find halves of 2D shapes.
- A fractions lesson based around a recipe, to find quarters of 2D shapes.
- Explains the terms and the cognitive concepts, e.g. Pair meaning two which go together, whole versus hole, half.
- Worksheets with fractions problems, set in a pizza parlour.
- Ordering and finding fractions of numbers and positioning fractions on a numberline.
- A fan with separate numerator and denominator for making different fractions.
- All the resources for a lesson on finding simple fractions of fruit, focusing on halves and quarters.
- Power point to use with whole class to assess different aspects of Fractions - of shapes, amounts and using word problems.