Secondary Maths – Topic Special: Place value, ordering and rounding
Collection Author: Gareth Fairclough - Maths Secondary Panel Member
Place value and decimals is a topic which children of all abilities struggle with. It is easy to see why, especially when the language of the topic suggests that hundredths are bigger than tenths, and thousandths are bigger than hundredths!
It goes without saying how important it is that students are competent with place value, ordering and decimals, as these concepts are fundamental for dealing with money in every day life. I have collected a number of resources which will help you to eradicate common misconceptions whilst teaching the topic in a more fun and engaging way.
Top 10 Resources:
- A great set of resources from CIMT based on the topic of rounding and estimating. It consists of lesson plans, worksheets, pupil assessments and some suggested activities to get pupils working with decimals.
- A great activity to get pupils working together and talking about the topic. It is also a good way to consolidate a lesson and get pupils engaging with rounding in a fun and interesting way.
- Another fun rounding activity. A nice way to end a lesson if you have a few minutes spare.
- A set of puzzles which test the understanding pupils have of place value. It would make an ideal starter or plenary for most KS3 classes and for foundation KS4.
- A simple yet effective way to check for pupil understanding. Once printed and laminated, these cards can be used over and over again.
- These worksheets are well structured and the lesson plans are very clear and aimed at pupils making steady progress.
- This fun PowerPoint activity could be adapted and used along with other resources. I think it would be a brilliant idea to ask pupils to estimate how much they think each celebrity is worth and then to order them according to that worth.
- This is a great pack of resources on rounding and estimating. It has a decent PowerPoint presentation and a good set of clearly levelled and differentiated questions.
- This could be used whilst teaching rounding or the use of a calculator. Pupils love this activity, so get a few sets laminated so you can use them over and over again.
- This resource is a selection of questions about Significant figures that can be cut out and distributed to a class, and can easily be modified to suit your needs.