21 September 2012
Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week
Recommended resources for When the world held its breath
Key stage 1 - Fall of the wall
- Introduce pupils to the city of Berlin with a BBC Class Clips MFL video introducing icons such as the Berlin Wall and Brandenburg Tor.
Key stage 2 - The main events
- Follow the history of modern America with Myrras’ images –great for display.
Key stage 3 - Recipe for war
- Help students understand the causes of the Cold War with an introduction by SallyAber.
Key stage 4 - Spotlight on Cuba
- For a unit of work on the Crisis try resources shared by deputydenton.
Key stage 5 - Crisis build up
- Explore the Cuban Missile Crisis with a video from Khanacademy.
Fun and Games
Gemraroloz shares a guess who game using cartoon and film characters, and celebrities. A great reward for good behaviour or to help young pupils construct descriptive sentences.
Sing in perfect harmony
Encourage pupils to sing with choral arrangements from Jenny Mus.
Assembly of the week: European day of languages
- Demonstrate the benefits of language learning with Jane Joynson’s PowerPoint assembly.
- For an assembly for every day of the year have a look in the TES assembly a day collection
Top 10 Autumn resources
With crops ready to be harvested and the trees shedding their leaves, use these resources to enter into the spirit of the season.
'If you have a novel idea for the classroom – or the solution to a knotty teaching problem - we'd love to hear about it.' Please email ideas to our Resources editor
Spotlight on ....Play and learn
Games are not just entertainment; they can be useful learning tools too. From engaging revision tools to teaching practical programming skills games can be used in every subject- not just ICT.
- Pupils can become weather explorers with BrainPOP UK’s find wind lesson.
- From floods to volcanos, tsunamis to hurricanes explore the natural disasters that can strike our planet with resources from hopeful6.
- For an Autumn-themed measurements lesson try choralsongster’s instructions for making pumpkin soup.
- From floods to volcanoes,, tsunamis to hurricanes, explore the natural disaters that strike our planet with resources from hopeful6.
- Explore the Victorian village at Ironbridge and discover the history of the industrial revolution with a Teachers TV video.
- Turn pupils into wind turbine engineers with a practical project from United States Department of Energy.
- Help pupils understand Autism with a resource pack from cathy1966.
- Give students with SEN a colourful way to learn literacy and numeracy with 1castleschool’s activities.