International school libraries month
There is no better time to convince pupils to visit the library, scan the shelves and pick up a book than this: the tenth anniversary of this global celebration of school libraries. Make the library central to your teaching this month with lesson activities, teaching resources and games to encourage students to find a favourite book, or a story that will stay with them for life.
Children’s Laureate Julia Donaldson spoke to TES users on 4 October about her work, children’s literacy and her campaign to save libraries. Watch the video here.
In the library
- The Institute of Ideas asks students whether books are still the essence of libraries. Get students debating and thinking about the library of the future with this guide.
- Nurture students’ love for reading by encouraging them to become library volunteers. Try this application and training scheme to get started.
- Make sure students know where to return their books with these handy library marker cards.
- Make a trip to the library the highlight of the week with these creative ideas for a visit using maps, magnifying glasses and cameras.
- Stop pupils feeling lost in the library with this quiz where they must search the shelves for clues.
- Try these colourful signs to brighten up your class library.
- If your students haven’t made a trip to the library yet, this PowerPoint is just what you need to excite them about the experience. Easily adaptable for your school.
- Try these top tips for getting the most out of your class library space.
- Use these colourful cards to help pupils spot sites in the library.
- Use these simple forms to keep track of books borrowed from your class library.
- Bring the joys of treasure hunting to the school library with this pirate-themed activity.
- Inspire students to get lost in a good book with this Ofsted guide to good practice.
- Encourage students to read with these picture cards – perfect for children with moderate learning difficulties.
- These quotes and labels make up a great display for International School Libraries Month.
- Add a competitive edge to school reading with this fantastic challenge which encourages students to read and parents to support them.
- Find out children’s thoughts on reading with this quick questionnaire – a great library-themed maths lesson.
- Behind every book is an author with their own story – try this biography research project to encourage year 9s to find out about popular writers.