21 December 2012
Links to resources, events and reviews featured in TES this week
1. USA - POW! Superheroes
- The country which gave us Spiderman, Batman and The Incredible Hulk is still obsessed with superheroes – particularly in the classroom.
2. Saudi Arabia - Shifting Sands
- The second-largest Arab state is 98 per cent desert so perhaps it's not surprising that schools are pre-occupied with the future of their own landscape.
3. Australia - Made to measure
- In parts of Australia there is nothing but space – about 40 per cent of the 7.6 million square kilometre continent is virtually uninhabitable.
4. Ireland - Ship of dreams
- The opening of the sensational Titanic Visitor Centre in Belfast, northern Ireland, this year commemorated the centenary of the tragic sinking of the 'Ship of Dreams'.
5. Romania - Goodwill to all
- Designed to develop pupils' literacy skills, this pack includes resources which range from essay writing (using PEE- point, evidence, explanation), to debating and reading aloud to exploring subtext and metaphor.
6. Pakistan - Disco dancing
- Teaching in Pakistan has traditionally been teacher-led with classes structured as lectures.
7. Kenya - What's the story?
- Kenyan educators' favourite resource reflects the country's heritage of oral storytelling.
8. Nigeria - Phonics fever
- English is the language of learning in Nigeria, and the country's Education Research and Development Council is finalising moves to include synthetic phonics in the national curriculum.
Top 10 Primary
Try these popular primary downloads from TES, enjoyed by teachers around the world.
'If you have a novel idea for the classroom – or the solution to a knotty teaching problem - we'd love to hear about it.' Please email ideas to our Resources editor
Top 10 Secondary
Try these secondary favourites, as chosen by teachers like you.
- TES partner National Schools Partnership has shared a creative writing resource inspired by the film.
- Get pupils excited about poems with this collection of poetry resources.