TES collection World War II
Primary History - World War II
Using rich resources that encourage children’s empathy skills can make all the difference in teaching about WWII. This collection has detailed lesson plans, sources of information, emotive images, audio interviews, film footage and display materials.
DavidHowes1977 has shared his wonderfully detailed plans for KS2, together with a large range of supporting resources:
- This resource includes a medium term plan, 12 lesson plans, an activity, worksheets and full colour pictures.
- Comprehensive lesson planning that covers all the topics and objectives for WWII themes.
- A double-sided topic mat incorporating basic facts about World War 2 with pictures. Designed for pupil reference, group discussion or display.
- Audio slide shows, interactive books and other resources about children’s experience of the war in London.
- The background context of evacuation during WW2 and ideas of drama activities to perform in groups.
- A round up of the WW2 topic told with the back drop of Raymond Briggs’ ‘Ethel and Ernest’.
- Aimed at Y5, this presentation has images and questions to get children thinking.
- Lesson starters featuring footage of WW2 in colour. Clips are drawn from the home movies of British and German film-makers - to inspire pupils to think about the hardship British and German children experienced during war.
- 15 display labels with images and captions.
- This activity explores the events at Dunkirk by comparing a holiday beach scene with a war zone. Two worksheets support the pupils’ writing targets at Y 2, 3, 4 and 5.
- A collection of teaching resources to explore the impact of the war on children, civilians and the armed forces. You can use the activities as they stand, or download the images and sources to create your own presentations and exercises.
- An attractive, colourful set of fact sheets providing information on D-Day. Ideal for linking literacy and history at Key Stage 2.
- Two high quality Second World War timelines for Y3/4 and Y5/6 outlining events, personalities and the Home Front. ActivStudio Flipchart format.
- Display cards depicting the main events to affect the UK, from the end of WW1 through WWII and on to the end of rationing in 1954.
- Basic introductory presentation of leaders and countries involved in WWII. Includes maps, images of leaders and brief information about each.
- War Witness takes a look at the ways in which the progress and the effects of war were captured for future generations to read about and view.
- This excellent presentation helps KS1 children discover facts about the war with a series of pictures, observations and questions. Also includes posters showing the propaganda of the time.
- Interesting facts about the Nazi leader, including information about his family life as a child and his schooling.