TES collection D&T - Ideas for practical lessons
Primary Design and technology - Ideas for practical lessons
Here are shared ideas for practical D&T lessons, to teach about design, processes and materials…. and, of course, to have fun!
- A link to a comprehensive website for teaching and studying most aspects of Design and Technology.
Mechanisms and movement
- A video showing Y1 pupils’ learning of the principles and processes of ‘moving pictures’, using the story Handa’s Surprise as inspiration.
- An adaptable booklet aimed at Year 5 pupils on moving toys using cams.
- Aimed at Y5 pupils, this activity is to make an animal with a moving mouth. The mechanisms used are: a cam and follower, a simple crank or a crank and slider.
- A sequence of lessons for Y3 pupils to make a 3D moving monster, using a simple pneumatic system.
- Instructions for building a framework with a cam mechanism for children to then build a toy around, using thin card and plastic cams.
- Medium term planning for year 4 pupils to make pop-up books, using two different mechanisms.
- This resource is designed for Year 4 pupils to make pop-up books, working in small groups.
- Detailed plans for the Year 6 unit on shelters.
- A design booklet and evaluation sheet for Unit 6a on Shelters, linked to World War II.
- A presentation using images and questions to stimulate discussion about the purpose, structure and appearance of shelters.
- This inspirational programme demonstrates how one teacher is bringing design and technology to life.
- Guidelines and activities to present a unit on bridges in years 3-6. All types of bridges are shown in detail, with examples.
- In teams, pupils construct bridges to support a model car.
- Children make a shekere using a plastic container and beads, then make music! Suitable for years 5 and 6.
- Ideas and plans for making instruments from different materials. Pupils look at properties of materials to understand how the sound is made.
- The big task is to design and make a simple musical instrument and use it to play a part in a piece for four players.
- An adaptable booklet for designing and making photoframes.
- A scheme of work on designing and making photoframes, intended for Year 3.
- A work booklet for the children in year 3 to use alongside the investigating, designing and making of their photograph frames.
Sewing and fabric
- Children design their bean bag, thinking about its purpose. Includes cutting, pinning and sewing.
- An easy to follow guide to create simple hand embroidery stitches.
- Design and make a product, choosing suitable fabrics and joining techniques.
- A PPT for the first lesson, looking at money containers and finding what features the children want to include in their own design.