Unique opportunity overseas to lead a large international community-based Early Years, Primary School and Secondary School
Principal : Discovery Bay International School, Lantau Island, Hong Kong
Competitive package including housing allowance and usual benefits
The School Council of this well established private and independent school is looking for an enthusiastic and well qualified applicant, with proven experience to lead it into the future following the departure in June 2013 of our successful and highly respected Principal of eight years.
Discovery Bay is a mature, green and attractive private residential development of some 18,000 people, just 25 minutes by high speed ferry from the heart of Hong Kong. The community is a unique blend of local Chinese and expatriates from a wide variety of countries, the majority of whom have been in Discovery Bay for many years, all seeking an attractive living environment for their families.
Discovery Bay International School (known as DBIS) has been at the heart of the community for over 30 years. The school was founded as a primary school and kindergarten, but expanded recently into what is now a very successful small secondary school offering years 7 through to 11. DBIS has over 930 students in total of which 580 are in primary school, 200 in the kindergarten and 150 in secondary. The school is one of only two in Hong Kong to be a member of the prestigious FOBISSEA group of leading British international schools in Asia and is also currently preparing for a CfBT inspection aimed at achieving the International School's Quality Mark (ISQM).
The impressively resourced school operates from modern and spacious premises following significant expansion over the past few years with the development of a purpose built 'Discovery Centre', including music studios, ICT suites, library and gymnasium. The recently opened secondary school building presents the highest quality facilities and a roof top swimming pool. DBIS follows a broad and balanced curriculum through to I/GCSE in our secondary school, based on the curriculum of England and Wales but which acknowledges our home in Hong Kong and our place in Asia. Particular emphasis is placed on all round development of students and sport, music and drama are key aspects of school life. The curriculum has undergone significant development in recent years. The popularity of the school is demonstrated by the long waiting lists and the commitment of our hugely talented teaching staff who hail from a range of countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.
DBIS can offer you:
- small class sizes with friendly, motivated and well behaved pupils;
- enthusiastic, involved and supportive parents and governors;
- dedicated and experienced teaching and support staff with a well developed performance management system in place;
- United Kingdom National Curriculum (incorporating the International Primary Curriculum through our Early Years and Primary) with an international flavour and a strong emphasis on a balanced and motivating approach to education, including sport, the arts and technology;
- a strong community spirit with the school at the centre;
- international experience in an attractive and well maintained school in a prosperous and pleasant community; all just a short journey from the excitement and energy of central Hong Kong.
The School Council is looking to appoint an outstanding Principal to lead our school from August 2013.
The successful candidate will be required to have:
- dynamic, inclusive and inspirational leadership qualities;
- strong interpersonal skills combined with the enthusiasm to retain and developthe school's active partnership between parents, staff, the wider community and the School Council;
- a clear vision for the school's future development, including learning, teaching and the related facilities;
- detailed knowledge and high expectations of student attainment in all aspects of school related learning achievement;
- strategic and decisive abilities to coordinate and manage a large independent school in all aspects of its diverse operations;
- thorough knowledge of and experience with school self review and external review procedures;
- demonstrable experience and evidence in leading a large through school (K-11) with a focus on Primary level education. Previous international experience would be an advantage.
Short listed candidates will be invited to Hong Kong for interview and to experience the quality of DBIS for themselves. Candidates should send their application, including curriculum vitae by Friday 18 January to: CM Chan, School Supervisor, 23/F., China Merchants Tower, Shun Tak Centre, 168 Connaught Road Central, Hong Kong, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information about the post may be obtained from the Supervisor by telephone at +852 2238 1138 or by email and through reference to our school's website http://www.dbis.edu.hk.