Lesson Starters - Non-Fiction Writing
These videos can be used as starting points to inspire non-fiction writing with your class.
Aimed at KS2 p More…upils, this collection of lesson starters covers a range of topics including report writing and recount.
Primary Writing Starters - It’s Unfair
- Children talk about their own experiences at home and school, before progressing to more serious issues.
Primary Writing Starters - 9/11 New York
- This unique KS2 English lesson starter focuses on pupils’ written and spoken responses to the events surrounding 9/11 in New York.
Different Writing Styles: Fires Out of Control
- This KS2 literacy stimulus raises the topic of fire to stimulate discussion and writing activities among pupils.
Literacy - How to Make Tea
- This short video offers a model of how to give good instructions.
Literacy - Stop! Thief!
- Three characters all mysteriouly lose something in this resource to stimulate writing a non-fiction recount.
More Primary English video collections
Primary English Lesson Ideas
- Ideas on how to use these resources
Lesson Starters - Persuasive Writing
Lesson Starters - Writing Genres
Lesson Starters - Story Development
Lesson Starters - Storytelling
Lesson Starters - Writer Interviews
Primary English Resources - Media Literacy