KS3 Lesson Starters - Physics: Sound
These KS3 and KS4 lesson starters will get your class thinking about sound, frequencies and how it travels.
More…>The videos are presented here in a full length version and in shorter clips, which you can use to introduce the different topics to your students.
Full length video
KS3 Physics - Sound
- Trevor Cox, professor of acoustics at the University of Salford, presents a series of engaging lesson starters about how sound is made and its effect on the objects around us.
Sound Through a Medium: Wobbling Bubbles
- A demonstration of how sound needs a medium to pass through.
Sound Through a Medium: Flickering Candles
- A short clip which features a demonstration of how sound needs a medium to pass through.
Sound Through a Medium: Shattering a Glass
- A short demonstration on how sounds are made, ideal for use as a lesson starter in KS3/4 science.
Sound : Waveforms - Four Octaves
- A short demonstration on waveforms, ideal for use as a lesson starter on sound.
Sound: Hearing and the Ear - The Confusaphone
- A short clip featuring a simple demonstration of how we humans hear sounds in stereo
Sound: Sonic Boom - Cracking the Whip
- A demonstration of how a sonic boom is produced. Ideal for use as a lesson starter on sound and can be used at KS3/4.
Sound: Materials - Brick and Foam
- A clip featuring a demonstration of how musical instruments sound different when they are played in different environments.
Sound Using Body Parts
- Demonstrating how body parts can be used to make different kinds of sound.
Secondary Science Lesson Ideas
- Ideas on how to use these resources
KS3 & KS4 Classroom Resources - Physics
KS3 & KS4 Classroom Resources - Biology
KS3 & KS4 Classroom Resources - Chemistry
KS4 Classroom Resources - How Science Works