TES teaching resources SEN Autism spectrum
Primary SEN - Autism Spectrum resources
As Autism is a pervasive condition, it affects several functional areas, including language, social and relational. This collection of resources offers information on ASDs for teaching professionals, advice and strategies to aid inclusion of ASD pupils and ‘social stories’ for pupils to help them understand common school situations.
- Information and advice for educational professionals with ASD pupils.
- A comprehensive guide to ASDs, incorporating a toolkit of tried and tested methods to ease inclusion of pupils with ASDs in mainstream education.
- An insightful video featuring three brothers, all with Autism, and their views on their different educational experiences.
- Pupils with autism spectrum disorders are among the pupils at greatest risk of being bullied as they don’t always read other people’s signals well enough to interpret and understand threats.
- Change is difficult for many people on the autism spectrum. This resource offers practical strategies to support transition periods, as well as providing a list of useful links to other organisations and support materials.t
- PowerPoint presentation looking at different causes of challenging behaviours displayed in pupils with Autism alongside strategies that can help.
- A video of a presentation by two special needs teachers, highlighting best practice around use of the interactive whiteboard with ASD pupils.
- Cards showing photos of girls and boys with different expressions and captions underneath.
- An IWB activity to identify emotions from children’s faces.
George Timlin is a Specialist Teacher who has been supporting children with an ASD, and their families, for 18 years. His ‘social story’ books explain common school situations and processes to younger children, together with strategies for dealing with them. Many of the books are editable to personalise with a pupil’s name and details.
- A social story to help children with ASD understand whole class activities.
- A social story about taking it in turns to talk about your interests.
- A social story to help younger children with ASD understand sharing and what to do if things go wrong.
- An adaptable social story to help children with an ASD to understand school rules.
- An adaptable social story to help children manage their anger.
- A social story to help a child with an ASD understand the emotions of others and what they can do to help.